As an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases. This means that if a reader clicks on a link or an image of the product, we may receive a commission. There is no additional cost to you — it helps pay for hosting and server costs. And it does not affect the quality of the content, as we always recommend our readers the best sources.
Rowing vs. Running are both popular sports activities, and they can bring you many benefits. However, when it comes to weight loss, which training will take the lead? In this article, we will compare Rowing and running to find out which one is better for weight loss.
What is the system of weight loss?
Before jumping straight into rowing and running, let’s find out a little bit about the weight loss system. Weight loss is the process of changing lifestyles and eating habits to shred some pounds and maintain a perfect body shape. However, weight loss may be a big challenge for many people, especially when they are not aware of ways to start or they don’t clearly understand the mechanism of weight loss.
To lose weight, you have to burn caloric surplus inside your body. This caloric surplus is stored in the form of fat, and it is distributed in every part of your body. Here are some recommendations from us to maximize your effort.
- Adapt healthy living and eating habits: One of the most crucial parts of weight loss is adopting healthy and balanced living and eating habits. This includes eating greens, fruits, chicken, fish, nuts, and whole-grain cereal, and you will also need to reduce the amount of sugar, fat, and salt.
- Consume fewer calories: Consuming fewer calories is of paramount importance for weight loss. You need to research the number of calories that your body needs and reduce the absorbed calories every day to lose weight. Also, remember that the calories needed may differ from person to person.
- Control health condition: Weight loss needs to be executed under the supervision of medical staff to ensure that you are doing it correctly and safely. It would be best if you took a medical check-up before embarking on your weight loss journey. Contact the doctor if you encounter any health problems.
- Use assistance: There are many health-supporting gadgets and mobile apps to support you in your weight loss process. These include calorie-tracking apps and physical activities-tracking apps,..
- Focus on your goals: To succeed in your weight loss journey, keep a fixed eye on your goals and start with minor changes. You can set some detailed goals like losing 5 pounds in 2 months or doing exercises for at least 30 minutes a day. It is imperative to keep up the spirit and not give up when you encounter challenges and difficulties.
- Do physical exercises: Last but not least, to lose weight, you need to do some physical activities to speed up the calories burned and improve your health. You can take up activities like walking, running, swimming, cycling, or yoga and pilates.
As a result, to lose weight, the most critical aspect is to focus on burning fat by increasing physical activities and reducing the number of calories absorbed every day. In this article, we will concentrate on the benefits of rowing and running in your weight loss process.
How many calories can each activity burn?
Let’s first compare the number of calories burned rowing vs. running.
Running is a simple but effective sports activity to lose some pounds. When you run, your body will use energy to move your body. This will require your body to burn caloric surplus and fat to provide power for your body. An average person can burn around 100 calories for every mile during running. However, that is not a specific number, as the number of calories burnt has to depend on the speed and the slope.
Rowing is also a good sport for weight loss. When you take up rowing, you use your main muscles like your hand, leg, and back to move the boat. Rowing will require collaboration between muscles, which will increase the intensity and burn more calories. An average individual can burn around 400 calories for 1 hour of rowing.
Above are some details regarding the calories burned. However, there are more information to take into consideration apart from the calories burned.
Find out more: Top water sports for your choice.
What difficulties might you face when you take up Rowing and Running?
While rowing vs. running is both effective methods to lose weight, there may be some differences regarding the difficulties and intensity.
Running is a simple physical activity but can be quite physically demanding for beginners. Beginners usually feel tired and find it hard to breathe when they run in the starting period. If you are not used to this kind of activity, you should start with a short distance and increase the length and intensity one by one.
On the other hand, rowing is definitely a physically demanding sport that will require persistence and collaborating skills. If you are not used to this kind of activity, you should get started with exercises and training to improve your skills and your muscle power.
Moreover, rowing can be an excellent physical activity for people with bone joint or leg injuries. When you row, you will not have to suffer from enormous pressure and impact on the bone joint and knees like you will when you run. This will make Rowing become a perfect choice for people with bone joint problems or leg injuries.
In conclusion, running vs. rowing can do you a lot of wonders in your weight loss and health-improving journey. However, which one is the most suitable for you will depend on your goals and your physical competence. If you want a simple and easy activity to lose weight, running can be your best option. Running can be enjoyed everywhere without the need for expensive or special equipment.
However, you can opt for Rowing if you want a more intense and physically demanding activity. Rowing can also reduce the pressure placed on your bone joint and knees, so it can be the best choice for people who are suffering from those problems. Rowing will require persistence and some specialized skills. However, it can be an exciting and enjoyable sport.
Find out more: Is kitesurfing a good workout?
Nevertheless, suppose you just do sports without caring about your eating and living habits. In that case, you can’t maximize the benefits of sports. As a result, to speed up weight loss, you need to adopt more balanced and nutritious eating habits, together with regular physical exercises to boost the benefits of whether it is rowing or running.